Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dilemma and Goal-Achievement!

So, we are leaving for a much needed vacation on friday and my dilemma is this:  I'm due to take my humira shot next thursday (in the middle of vacay) and we are going to be driving/camping.  Should I take the needle with us in a cooler and risk the temperature getting all wonky and possibly ruined, or should I just leave it and take it when I get home?  If I left it home, I would be taking it a week and a half late.  I'm pretty inclined to leave it at home, but am a bit worried that that extra week and a half would put a painful damper on our vacation.

I wish planning a summer road trip didn't also mean having to plan around refrigerated meds!

To end on a positive note, I am beyond pumped about this holiday!  Initially we were planning a trip for the end of august, but due to work commitments, we are now leaving in a couple of days.  The sooner the better, I say.  This holiday couldn't have come at a better time: work is beyond hectic, we've had to deal with no running water, then no hot water at home.  And, to top it all off, our car died (which would have really sent our vacation into a tail-spin as that was our way of gettin' outta here).  But, the car is fixed, and due to my beloved, we have glorious, running, hot water :)  Yay for showers!

So, on friday, we are headed out to Gaspesie, a peninsula in Quebec.  For a fish-lover such as myself, this is going to be a heaven.  AND, folks, I will be fulfilling a goal that I had made for myself a couple of years back!!!  I had read this book and totally loved it.  It was funny and made me absolutely determined to someday hike the Appalachian Trail.  Well, the International Appalachian Trail starts in Gaspesie!!!!  I'm actually going to get to hike on it!  I can't wait!


  1. I say contact your doc or Humira, themselves, to see if you can take it early! Then you can follow a new schedule. That way you don't have to take with you nor wait 1.5 weeks, which might cause a flare on vacay (ummm, no thanks!!).

    Your trip sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see some pics when you're back. Wishing you a painfree and relaxing trip!



  2. I was kind of thinking about taking it early...not sure if I could reach my doc, but maybe the Humira folks, though I'm sure they'd say to talk to my doc :)

    Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm going to try and be better at taking pics than I normally am :)

  3. Hey! Yeah early sounds better than late.. If not the doc is there a rheumatology nurse at the hospital you can speak to?

    The trip sounds awesome, I'm jealous and can't wait to hear all about it. Hope you get good camping weather!!

  4. Have a great time! Maybe the RA will take a little vacation too. :)

  5. I think that I will take the meds with us as it should be good for a couple of days in the med-cool pack I have, then just take it a couple of days early. I was reading on the humira site that much higher doses are prescribed in other situations, and sometimes weekly with RA, so a few days early should be fine.

    Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone!! I haven't been this excited in a while. I'm sure I will brag plenty when I get back :D

  6. Have a blast on your trip and enjoy every second even if through the face of pain. Take care. hugs. Tazzy

  7. pony! how are you! I have not posted in awhile. I want to hike the entire Pacific Crest Trail! Maybe us RA gals can do all three someday? The PCT, the AT, and the CT

    Hope you are feeling good!

  8. I do hope your trip is going well. No word in a while. Just checking in on you!! Hugs. Tazzy