Thursday, February 3, 2011

Morning Conversation

Scene: Me sitting, N coming over to say hi.

Me:  "Morning!"

N:  "Good morning, are you putting on weight?"

Me: "YES."

N:  "Are you pregnant?"

Me:  "NO."

N:  "Oh, I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant.  Cause you're putting on weight."

Me:  "Nope, not pregnant."

N:  "OH!  Guess what??   So-and-so is in labour!  It's so exciting!!!"

Wham, bam, schlam.  Three for one.  YES, I have gained weight.  NO, despite trying for 15 cycles I am still not pregnant.  OH, everyone else is pregnant and having their babies??   THAT'S GREAT.

Note:  I have only slightly altered this conversation.  There was a side conversation about going to the bank after I said good morning, and the story about the labouring woman was wayyyy longer than I depicted.  Other than that, it is nearly word for word.  Such is my life.

8 comments:

  1. I have never understood how a person can ask whether you have gained weight or not. How rude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW!!!! The whole thing was rude! She knows that we are having some problems getting pregnant, even at the testing stage...I know she didn't mean anything bad by what she said, it was just the worse case of foot-in-mouth-disease ever! Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god! Didnt she think that if you were pregnant you'd tell her that yourself, without her prying?!? I hate people. Hugs for you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously. People should never, ever ask women if they are pregnant unless they are 100% sure. It can end badly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tact. It's called tact. And good manners. And that's all I'll say. (Other than I'm sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there's a comedian who said, "NEVER ask a woman if she's pregnant, even if you can see the baby's head coming out. Instead, politely ask if she's had a bad burrito and if she'd like some Tums."

    I know what it's like to have people ask you that constantly. I'm there for you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww... gentle hugs. That was a tough convo to get through no doubt. T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER say any of these things to anybody ever. Yerg!

    ReplyDelete